What is Autism?
Autism is a complex disorder of brain development that has varying degrees of difficulties in verbal and non-verbal communication, attention, social interaction, repetitive behaviors and motor coordination.
- Delayed speech and language development
- Lack of eye contact
- Does not wave goodbye or use gestures to communicate
- Lack of response to cuddling or affection
- No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles or other facial expressions
- Does not play with other people or share interest and enjoyment
- Does not ask for help or make other basic requests
- Any loss of speech, babbling or social skills at any age
- Follows a rigid routine or has difficulty adapting to any changes in schedule or environment
- Unusual attachments to toys or strange objects such as keys, light switches, or rubber bands.
What To Do If You Suspect Your Child has Autism?
If you are concerned that your child has Autism, ask your family doctor or pediatrician to refer you immediately to a diagnostic center for autism or team of specialists for a comprehensive developmental evaluation. In order to determine whether your child has autism or another developmental condition, clinicians will look carefully at the way your child socializes, communicates, and behaves. Diagnosis is based on the patterns of behavior that your child exhibits.
The Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center is a diagnostic center for autism and has both Preschool and School Age classrooms to support students with Autism Spectrum Disorders focusing on learning, communication and social development. To learn more about these programs, please call (716) 885-8318.
School and Clinic Locations
Let Us Help
At Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center, we are dedicated to helping you overcome any hearing, speech, communication, or educational need you have. Call us to speak with a Specialist or Write Us A Message.
The solution starts here!
Looking for advice?